Thursday, April 26, 2012

Basilica St. Denis

Today Rachael and I trekked all the way to the top of line 13 so that we could visit the St. Denis Basilica, and I have to say that it contributed to me being in a better mood than I have been these past few weeks. Finally, the church that I've been looking for: absolutely FULL of medieval tombs and royal body parts. Definitely better than Notre Dame. When we walked into the necropolis, I accidentally started singing that song that goes, "I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it!!"...and then I had to stop myself...because I was in a necropolis.

The Basilica.

The feet on the tombs of Francis I and his wife. I thought it was an odd choice, personally. 

Me and the heart of Francis I, ewwww.


Henri IV & Catherine de Medici!

Really nice stained glass windows!

The crypt.

Louis XVII's heart. Extra gross.

St. Denis kind of restored faith in France for me! I just need to see stuff like this more often and I'll feel better. Tomorrow's blog: DOG CEMETERY!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment