Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wednesday

Today was my last "real" Wednesday, because next week Lise actually has school on Wednesday since it's the last day. I say "real" because it actually wasn't....Lise had to be somewhere really far away in the middle of the morning for a dance rehearsal for her show on Saturday, so Anne stayed here in the morning and took care of that, and then stayed and made lunch, which was nice.

Lise was cute today. I managed to wrestle her in front of my computer to show her the Do Re Mi song from Sound of Music (she's suddenly very interested in singing and playing the guitar). Surprisingly, she liked it (maybe because she already knows Julie Andrews from Mary Poppins). We actually watched a few clips from the movie before she started squirming, which I count as progress. She even told me she wanted to watch more of the scene where Maria eats dinner with the family for the first time, but unfortunately we couldn't find what came next in sequence, so of course she lost interest right away.

On another subject, I'm still freaking out about next year because UCI won't make financial aid decisions until August. AND I called Housing today and they said that because of my status as a graduate student who isn't guaranteed housing, it's likely that I won't be placed into cheap housing until WINTER QUARTER. Lately I've been researching off-campus options, but none of them fit within my budget (No thank you, I'm a graduate student, I don't want to share a room with 20-year-old and her friends, thank you very much). I could get very nice campus housing in one or two of the new communities (apparently they have trouble filling them because of the price), but I don't want to pay over $1,000 a month. I *might* decide to go that route, but if and only if my financial aid is AMMMMAZZZING. And let's face it, it might not be. I really don't know what to do. I still have the option of applying to start Cal State LA Winter Quarter, but I just don't trust the program. There website literally tells me NOTHING about what I would be doing next year/how student teaching works/what time frame I'll finish it, etc. Every link just goes in a circle, which I consider a bad sign.

Whereas UCI, on the other hand, has been sending me helpful email updates all the time, answering my questions in a timely manner, and has just been all-around smiley and encouraging.

I'm really scared of taking out huge loans, but I guess sitting at home for another year isn't going to help either. No job I get in the meantime will make this that much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment